Monday, September 15, 2014

Humor in math&statistics



Part of what makes me (and many others) enjoy their career is taking part in the humor in and around the topics in our field.  I believe that having the ability to keep your work lighthearted in some ways makes it more of a community and makes your career choice more fun.  Lawyers have their lawyer jokes, doctors have their doctor jokes, and yes - mathematicians and statisticians have our (dorky) but silly jokes!
I’ve started making it a habit to post a joke daily (or so) on my instant messenger status (work communication tool).  Although most ignore it, a few like to try and guess the answer.  There’s a wide array of jokes to choose, ranging from pretty elementary (middle-schoolers would even enjoy) to those that wouldn’t make any sense unless you had studied pretty advanced math.  For the sake of trying to give a smile to other employees (non-Statisticians) I try to stick to the basic ones.
Here’s a few from the last couple of weeks.
  • What did the acorn say when it grew up?
    • Geometry (gee, i’m a tree!)
  • What do you call an empty parrot cage?
    • Polygon (Polly - gone)
  • What do mathematicians have for dessert on Halloween?
    • Pumpkin pi
  • What did 0 say to 8?
    • Nice belt!
  • What has 8 eyes and 8 legs?
    • 8 pirates!

Similarly I also enjoy some great comics so I’ll just share a few of my favorites!




I'm running out of good ones so please send some in to share with me :)


Links to more fun:

No comments:

Post a Comment